One of my favorite ways to exerice is to go outside and get a nice run in. It really refreshes my mind and body, and I especially like finding nature trails to explore. However, with Kansas’ weather mood swings, being able to run outside everyday has proven difficult. It’s either snowing outside or just too cold to bundle up properly. Also, being super busy lately with the Student Literary Magazine, plus activities and homework, make running only possible when it gets dark outside. So, I have some helpful tips to stay moving and active during this cold season!
1. INDOOR GYM/WORKOUT FACILITY! This has become my best friend. I kickbox at Title Boxing Club at 21st and Rock here in Wichita every other day. It’s the best workout I’ve ever had; each day there’s always something new to give you a full body workout. Plus, it’s like a sauna inside the building – no excuse to be cold! We run, do strength and cardio, and finally work on our core. It’s a fun workout! Also, the Newman student workout facility is FREE to use! We got new equiptment this year, plus the treadmills and elipticals and stationary bikes are always available whenever I make it in! Find a friend to work out with, and go after class!
2. At home/dorm room workouts can be just as challenging as a gym workout. My favorite at-home workouts come from Cassey Ho of Blogilates.com. She does a video each week, focusing on a different part of the body. Plus, I like to combine two or three videos together for a full body workout. She’s fun and energetic as well – doesn’t yell at you like Shawn T of Insanity. Although, Insanity and P90x will DEFINITELY kick your butt!
3. Campus Activities Board usually hosts an event every now and then like intramural sports that you can get involved in! Also, to my knowledge, a basketball pick-up game happens in the Newman gym on Wednesday nights around 8pm. Come out and get that heart rate going with a little competition!
4. The little things count! One thing that I like to do is walk to every class. I will purposely park my car in the far lots and walk the distance to class. It may not seem like much, but walking does bump up your heart rate! Also, Google some sitting and in-class workouts. I am currently flexing my abs while I type this, and I can feel the pain! Another great one is to do some calf raises while waiting in the lunch line.
5. Be an all around healthy person! Yes, we’re in college, but health is the number one factor in helping us become the person that we want to be! So, even if you can’t fit a workout in, make sure that you are still eating properly, getting enough sleep, and drinking lots of water! You should be drinking half of your weight in ounces of water each day to keep your metabolism going. Plus, drink 8oz of water for every 30 minutes that you work out each day.
I hope that the cold goes away fast, I have a 1/2 marathon to train for!